Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Adventure Tour

This is a adventure tour I would be glad to help with. I have ridden part of it on the Glenallen Highway. I would also be glad to run a SAG vehicle up to accompany us. The best news is that bicycles fly no charge on Alaska Airlines. They do count in your baggage allowance but there is no surcharge as long as the box is less than 50 #s. I do not even mind volunteering to SAG. Like Bruce says the scenery is spectacular. I am looking for an excuse to drive the Alcan again.
 

I saw several loaded cyclists when we drove the Alcan Highway. However, I do not think I am up for cycling. Even this package tour is a lot of driving with snippets of cycling. Cycling from Skagway, Haines, Haines Junction to Tok and then to Delta Junction and maybe then to Glenallen and on towards Glacier View but not all the way to Palmer is doable and beautiful. 

This would still be a wonderful 3 week tour with lots of stops and scenery. I would also enjoy the 2 week drive to the start and another couple weeks back.
 

Dave

From: Bruce  Sent: Jan 12, 2020 Subject: Re: AlCan Bike Trip

The scenery is no doubt fantastic. I well remember the drive between Palmer and Glenallen as among the most gorgeous anywhere but the traffic was heavy, the road winding and no shoulders anywhere. That was the stretch that had a speed limit of 50 mph but you could also be fined if more than a certain number of cars backed up behind you. There were few places to pull over. I noted I could have gotten a ticket for speeding and going too slow at one go.

I imagine traffic lessens the further east one goes. The beauty of doing our own is we could choose start and end points and sag sketchy sections.

No comments:

Post a Comment